Savannah 22 – Golden Isles 10

The Savannah Shamrock (2-1) took on the Golden Isles Hammerheads (1-1) in a rematch of the season opener just three weeks ago and played their second straight home game in the pouring rain at Forsyth Park.  Coming off their shutout victory over Armstrong a week ago the men in green came out to strong to defend their home field.  Immediately after the opening kickoff the Shamrocks put pressure on the Hammerheads pushing them deep into their own territory.  Failed attempts by Golden Isles to clear the ball eventually resulted in a lineout to the Shamrocks who were able to bring the ball to ground and two consecutive rucks later saw hooker-come-8man, Soloman Ball touch down for the score (converted by Midgett) making the score 7-0.  Ten minutes later the rains came and never let up making an already chewed up field even worse.  The ball became even sloppier and was difficult to handle by either team.  Eventually, the Shamrocks were able to capitalize on ball handling errors by the Hammerheads when inside center, Charles Campbell, was able to scoop up a loose ball and score under the post (converted by Midgett) making the score 14-0.  The rest of the 1st half was played deep in the Hammerheads half; however, with no time left in the half a missed drop goal my flyhalf, Matthew Midgett, ended the half.  

Halftime Score: Shamrocks 14 – Hammerheads 0

The second half opened with an invigorated Hammerhead team came out sensing that they were still very much in the game.  Some smart substitutions made on their part provided the extra emphasis for the comeback attempt.  After putting some early pressure on the Shamrocks in the first few minutes of the 2nd half, the Hammerheads were rewarded by scoring against a disorganized backline (unconverted) making the score 14-5.  The Shamrocks quickly answered by stepping their aggression in the rucks lead by their young flanker, Matthew Dunham, who sparked the rest of the forwards to follow his lead.   The Shamrocks were eventually rewarded with clean ball to the backline that was kicked deep into the Hammerheads’ corner and eventually resulted in a lineout at their own 5-meter line.  After mishandling the ensuing lineout and attempting to kick it away the Shamrocks were able to dive on a loose ball in the try zone.  Solomon Ball was awarded the try for the Shamrocks but several men from Savannah were responsible for creating the pressure that resulted in a hard-fought try (unconverted) making the score 19-5.  The Hammerheads refused to go away and quickly responded with strong rucking of their own pushing the ball deep into Shamrock territory.  After several phases the Hammerheads were rewarded when one of the backs squirted through after for a try under the post (unconverted) making the score 19-10.  Savannah did their best to not only hold onto the lead but extend it through vicious runs across the gain line.  Every time the Hammerheads had possession and attempted to gain ground against the Shamrocks their fullback, Tyler Wend, was up to the task at returning the ball back into Hammerhead territory.  Continued pressure by the Shamrocks was rewarded in the 75th minute when a penalty was given to Savannah for offsides and was slotted through by flyhalf, Matthew Midgett, making the score 22-10.  As the game came to a close another failed drop goal which struck the cross bar was picked up by the Hammerheads fullback and run back to midfield; however, his ensuing chip kick went directly into touch ending the game.  

Final Score: Savannah 22 – Golden Isles 10

1 Ben Carroll
2 Jeremiah Shenefield
3 Sean Coburn
4 Hank Lux
5 Jeremiah Kielian
6 Matt Dunham
7 Johnny Rea
8 Solomon Ball
9 Kamoe Fonmanu
10 Matt Midgett (c)
11 Bryan Rippee
12 Charles Campbell
13 Kevin McKenzie
14 Jacob Carpenter
15 Tyler Wend
Res Kyle Lawson
Res  Oran Domingue
Res Sam Hoffman

Back of the Match – Tyler Wend

Forward of the Match – Matthew Dunham